Re: Key mappings in ssh

Rudy --

...and then rudy@viper.iasi.rdsnet.ro said...
%
% I have a problem using sshd on cygwin: the backspace key does not work as
% expected, for example in vi (inserts ^? ) and cat. To get it working I

Is this ssh-ing out of your cygwin box or into it?

In either case, the problem is a tty configuration mismatch between where
you are (ssh nnnnn) and where you're going (running the shell).

Use

  stty -a

to see how your current settings are (look particularly for "erase") and
then

  stty erase NN

to set it as you wish (say ^ and ? or perhaps ^ and h).

If you always send delete, then you can just put

  stty erase ^?

into your .profile (or .bash_profile or .bashrc or whatever it is if
you're coming back into your cygwin box; I haven't figured it out under
cygwin yet) and that will force the matter.

Another thing that folks sometimes do is whip up a simple script actually
named ctrl-h or ctrl-questionmark and put the relevant stty commands
in there; when you hit the backspace key at the prompt, you'll either
properly try to back up and do nothing or spit out a wonky character,
which the shell will interpret when you hit return and away you go :-)
I don't recommend it (these things should really be negotiated better,
and your term settings should be transparent) but it's a useful kludge.

% Ideas?

HTH & HAND

%
%