RPC in cygwin? Sun Grid Engine 5.3 nearly compiles. :)

Hi everyone,

Had a novel idea tonight... try compiling Sun's Grid Engine 5.3
(gridengine.sunsource.net) with cygwin on WinNT 4.

Installed Cygwin 1.3.10 (with just about everything it offered).

Downloaded, configured (to the best of my abilities) the Sun Grid Engine
source code, then started it compiling.

It almost worked (and therefore made corporate NT networks into
potential renderfarms easily), and I got excited.

But not quite fully.  The compilation bombed out near the end on missing
RPC stuff:

*******

gcc -O2 -Wall -Werror   -DLINUX -DLINUX6  -DCOMPILE_DC
-D__SGE_COMPILE_WITH_GETT
EXT__ -I/install/gridengine/source/3rdparty/gettext-0.11/LINUX6/include
-D__SGE_
NO_USERMAPPING__ -I../security/sec -I../common -I../libs/uti
-I../libs/gdi -I../
libs/cull -I../libs/rmon -I../libs/comm -I../libs/sched
-I../daemons/common -I..
/daemons/commd -I../daemons/qmaster -I../daemons/execd
-I../daemons/schedd -I../
clients/common -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.  -c ../libs/cull/pack.c
../libs/cull/pack.c:49: rpc/rpc.h: No such file or directory
../libs/cull/pack.c:50: rpc/types.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [pack.o] Error 1
not done

*******

Had to fake the Grid Engine compilation system into thinking the system
was Linux (so it would use gcc, etc), but that seems to have worked out
well.

Pity about the rpc/ directory not being there.

Out of curiosity is there any kind of RPC implementation which would
work on Cygwin to the point where I might be able to get this working?

Having Grid Engine working on NT would be cool, as it's now Open Source.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi