Re: Installing problem

The fact that you have the contrib and latest directories implies
on or both of the following two things to me:

(1) Your temporary contained data from previous install attempts.
(2) You do not really have the newest installer.

The reason I say this is that the new family of installers does
not create the directories you mention.  If I go in the temporary
directory I use right now, I have one folder, which has a long
and somewhat obscure name that reflects the mirror it came from.
If I go inside that directory, there is the setup.ini file and
the directory called release only.

My advise to you is this.
(1) Clean out a directory that you use for Cygwin install and
nothing else.  I call mine cygtemp on all my machines.
(2) Get the latest installer from Cygwin.  On my work machine,
to insure I am not getting an older version, I have to hit refresh
a couple of times on the Cygwin page, due to some nimrod between
me at the Cygwin page caching stuff.  Make sure that your setup.exe
goes in your cygtemp directory.  Note: that should be the ONLY thing
there right now.
(3) When you run "install from the internet", make sure that the
local directory it is using is the cygtemp directory.

Some side notes:
I always use "IE5 Options" for my connect. When I started, "direct
connection" did not work, IE5 always has, so it has become ritual
for me.  I also install my cygwin with Unix and All options.  I
also, under the category of ritual, almost always use the progeny
mirror.

Hope this helps,
Wayne Keen