Re: setup.exe 2.218.2.8/9 broken

John, et al --

...and then John Haggerty said...
%
% Hi,

Hello!

%
% Well thanks, that calmed me down.  I have installed cygwin maybe 50

I have been amazed at the release frequency of setup.exe, but I don't
understand enough about the structure to have any place thinking that we
should fall back to a stable version and consider all of these releases
to be development only :-)  Watching the various problems that come up
has been quite educational; I'm glad I don't write software for other
people.

%
% - start:
% - Get to the end (zlib) and get a popup reporting "Download Incomplete"
% which seemed to end the installation prematurely

It does, but only for that step.  AFAICT the download is, in fact,
complete.

% - deleting the failed installation by deleting \cygwin and the cygwin
% local package directory, and usually deleting registry keys containing
% "Cygnus," as described in the manual

The next time you do this, you can now install from your local directory
instead of from the 'net again, perhaps after moving the ftp site dir's
copy of release up to the setup dir level, with no problem.  I've done
this in my experimentation and hunting for cygintl-1.dll (which, BTW, I
finally got installed on my home machine and, lo, grep now greps and cat
now cats; thanks, all!).

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie