RE: MIT shared memory extension

> > Thats all. No patching headers. This enables migrating one
> > package to cygwin ipc stuff, while other packages could use
> > the cygipc stuff.
>
> We still need to do the ABI upgrade though, before that can be done.

You mean building a new cygwin1.dll with shm support ?

I have patched sys/types.h key_t definition with

#ifdef _CYGIPC_IPC_
typedef	long key_t;
#else
typedef	long long key_t;
#endif

have applyed the cygwin.din patches, have recompiled and installed cygwin1.dll
in /usr and than I can compile an app using cygipc and another using cygserver.

What's additional to do ?

So the only thing to do I see is to distribute a new cygwin release with shm
support.

> > BTW: This is another thread, but perhaps it is interesting
> > for somebody to see. Below there is a first performance
> > measurement of cygipc relating to cygserver shm support. Only
> > for info.
>
> Interesting. How to read the results? (is lower better or worse?).

This results are produced by the profiler lib located in the
http://kde-cygwin.sf.net cvs area

n   = nummer of running tests
min = minimal measured time for one test
max = maximal measured time for one test
avg = average time of all tests
sum = accumulated time for all tests

the results are in usec

> Also, as you can read both codes without issue, would you care to
> document how the cygipc one is much faster?

Hmmh, I have only some assumption, but I will think about this.

BTW: What about a new binutils release. Is this going on ?

Regards
Ralf