Missing feature in Pine

I am hapily running Pine under Cygwin however I have a problem.

I wish to use festival to have my mail 'read' to me.  This is achieved by
piping the email to a perl script written by someone on the festival list.

This is where my problem lies.  Although the help screen shows that the
pipe command is '|' when I press this key Pine tells me that this is not a
valid key for this screen (with the email open).

So my questions are

1) what is the command to pipe the email to an external viewer under cygwin
   Pine?
2) can this even be achieved with this version of pine?
3) can the maintainer update the help screen?

Thanks and Regards,

Jim