Re: New setup uploaded - 2.218.2.8

On Fri, 17 May 2002 03:31:36 +0800 D G <dgun@umpire.com> wrote:

> From: "Harig, Mark A." <maharig at idirect dot net>
> >I think I see now.  I was simply letting 'setup.exe' use its defaults.
> >It defaults to using 'c:\cygwin' for the Root Install Directory and
> >'c:\cygwin' for the Local Package Directory.  I assumed that setup was
> >searching in the '/' directory tree, but that was just a coincidence
> >because my '/' mount point is 'c:\cygwin'.  In fact, setup searches in
> >whatever location is provided for Local Package Directory.  I changed my
> >Local Package Directory setting to c:\cygwin\setup (a directory that did
> >not exist), and setup created the needed directory.  None of the parsing
> >errors that I reported earlier were generated because setup no longer
> >finds invalid 'setup.ini' files from other, non-setup packages.
>
> OK.  For those of us who did it the "wrong" way (mine is set to H:\),
> how can I change the local package directory and still keep all the
> current package information?  Is it automatic?  What about the "latest"
> and "contrib" directories?  Are those obsolete?
>
> On the other hand, would it be a good idea for setup.exe to tag its
> directories in some way, like with a zero-byte file, so that it doesn't
> take just any old setup.ini file it finds?

1. Create a new directory like c:\zip\Cygwin\ to be the local directory.
2. Move all applicable files and directories to that directory.
   Examples: setup.exe, setup.ini, release\, contrib\, latest\, ftp%3a*\

Directories contrib\ and latest\ are obsolescent, but may still have useful
files under them.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html