CVS: binmode/textmode issues [Was: Re: Changes in latest snapshot]

egor duda wrote:

> CW> Then, you switch to binmode, and do another cvslogin, resulting in this:
>
> CW> :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src Ay=0=h<Z \r\n
> CW> :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvs A \r\n
> CW> :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/src Ay=0=h<Z \n   <<<< no \r
>
> CW> The next time the .cvspass file is read in, cvs is confused  by the
> CW> presence of the \r's in the first two lines.  (Which it never saw
> CW> before, thanks to textmode).
>
> CW> Use switch back to binmode, use dos2unix on .cvspass (and .cvsrc for
> CW> that matter), and try again...
>
> Doesn't it seem to you that we should rather patch cvs to open
> .cvspass in textmode?

If that is indeed the problem.  I'm not sure that it is.  Everytime a
textmode/binmode issue like this comes up with cvs, I make a suggestion
for people to try -- hoping that they will do so, report back, and their
experience will confirm or deny that 'X' is the problem.

Instead, I always get "suggestions" like yours -- no offense, Egor --
instead of people actually TRYING what I recommend.  I'm not going to go
hacking around inside cvs until I KNOW what and where the problem REALLY
is -- not where we think it MIGHT be.  CVS works for me; I use it daily
for my dissertation.  I don't want to (possibly) break it in an attempt
to fix an (unconfirmed) problem -- for very important personal reasons
(if I scrog my dissertation trying to fix someone else's unconfirmed
binmode problem, then I'm going after them with an axe...  Okay, maybe
I'll just restore from my daily backup.  But you get the idea.)

> IIRC, \r is not a valid symbol for encrypted
> passwords, so it can be safely skipped.
>
> i use "binmode everywhere" myself, but i suppose we'll have yet
> another binmode/textmode hell here after changing the default.

One Of These Days, I plan to do the following:

a) transition my cvs build to script-based packaging
b) update my existing patches to the recent 1.11.2 release (2002-04-17)
-- with NO other changes
c) let that simmer for a month or two as a 'test release'
d) THEN attempt to fix various binmode/textmode "problems" people keep
reporting -- but never confirming...

--Chuck