Helpful Bug Reporting (setup.exe)

When you are reporting an error, try to think like someone
who is trying to solve the problem!  In the case of setup.exe
problems make sure to include:

(1) What version of setup you are using.  Its on the first
screen you get after running setup, right below the symbol.
If you have any doubt that it is the latest, go back to the
Cygwin home page, hit refresh a couple of times, and download
again.
(2) Tell how you are running setup.  Are you doing a full
install or an incremental update.  Are you doing an install
from the internet or a download to local directory followed
by an install from there.  Are you doing a direct connect or
IE5?  What mirror?  Tell them what path you took before your
crash.  Oh yeah, note things you have done like, throwing
away all previous material in your install directory,
uninstalling the previous version of Cygwin, anything of that
nature.
(3) Make the archives a daily (or more) reading experience.
I don't know how they keep their patience when someone is
the 19th person in the last two days to report something.
Make sure http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/ is in your
favorites, (refresh) and read often.  This will help avoid
the me too effect.  A bunch of me toos does not get things
fixed faster.

Try not to just report a problem, try to contribute to the
solution.  You can do that even is you are as bad at gdb
as *I* am.

Wayne Keen