RE: seeking crontab permissions workaround

1. Is there a reason why you're not using the latest version of Cygwin
(1.3.10)?

2. Have you read /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README?

3. What version of the Cygwin cron package do you have installed?  As of
3.0.1-6 (that is, the sixth Cygwin release of 3.0.1), Cygwin includes a
post-installation script (/etc/postinstall/cron.sh.done) that creates
and sets the permissions of /var/cron and /var/cron/tabs to the
appropriate values.

4. You shouldn't need to set the permissions via Windows Explorer.  You
might try the following:

   a. Save your crontabs in some directory other than /var/cron

   b. Delete the directory tree /var/cron

   c. Run /etc/postinstall/cron.sh.done at your shell prompt

   d. $ crontab -e   # edit your blank crontab to make it identical to
your saved crontab

5. If you are using NTFS, you'll likely want to set CYGWIN=ntsec etc...
See

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PERM
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html