Re: cygwin CD question

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:11:08PM -0700, William V. Nicholson wrote:
>The point is that if you are really paranoid about these things then
>someone might slip in a trojan or backdoor while you are downloading
>Cygwin.  Obviously, if you subsequently set up an integrity tool then
>your system together with the backdoor would check out as okay
>(possibly until it got infected with a second backdoor or whatever).

So, the alternative is to trust that someone else has better security
than you do and trust their CD offering?

That doesn't sound paranoid enough to me.

All of the packages come with md5 checksums.  You should be able to
confirm that there are no problems with what you've downloaded by
comparing the checksums.

cgf