Re: cygwin 1.3.10 + win2k + fat32 + chmod prob

Tim,

For FAT volumes, you need "ntea" (NT Extended Attributes) in your CYGWIN
environment variable and you must be prepared for the creation of a large
auxiliary data file that holds the attribute information that the file
system itself does not.

As with "ntsec," "ntea" must be present in the CYGWIN environment variable
_before_ the Cygwin DLL loads, so the Environment control panel is the
place to set it. Thus it will _never work_ to set "ntea" from within a
Cygwin application. If you have Cygwin processes running as services, then
put the CYGWIN setting in the System environment, not just a per-user
environment.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA