RE: Note On Setup

Not the incredibly obvious, more the someone is running a broken proxy,
or more likely an intercepting proxy, upstream of you. Take them out and
shoot them.

intercepting proxies are evil (outside of the reverse proxy aka
accelerator scenario), and broken ones even more so.

MSIE - quite rightly - does not send proxy cache control headers when it
doesn't know about the presence of a cache, so it assumes it is getting
a real response from the server when it requests a IMS, and until you go
refresh, older squids (and most other intercepting proxies) will give
you a cache hit instead. This breaks your browsing experience, because
of the idiotic network admin that is breaking the TCP end to end rules.

Rob