Is cygwin setup.exe really compatible to WinXP Pro ?

I'm a newcomer to the cygwin scene, so I may have missed something
fundamental here. However, I doubt it, as no special expertise should be
needed to follow installation instructions given on the home page (or should
it ?!?).

I've tried using the setup.exe in the main 'Install Now' link several ways,
but all attempts so far lead to the same result, which goes as follows.

1:  I start setup.exe, either as local program or by opening it after link
clicking.
    This is of course the same thing, except that it runs from local web
cache then.
2:  The cygwin install wizard launches, and I click 'Next' to continue.
3:  The program displays the three main options. from which I then choose
either
    'Install from Internet' or 'Download from Internet' (The third option
being
     useless to me, as I still haven't got any of the files.) I then click
'Next' again.
4:  The program displays the download path, which I then confirm with
'Next'.
5:  The program next displays the connection methods, from which I choose
either
    'Direct Connection' or 'IE5 settings' confirming with 'Next' yet again.
6:  Finally some action, as the mirror list is loaded. Strangely this list
is preceded by a
     progress bar that never updates.  It just 'sits there' quite empty
until the list has been
     downloaded... But then the list is properly displayed, so that's OK by
me.
7:  So I select a mirror to be used (and yes, I've tried several) and click
'Next' again.
8:  Again I see that non-updating progress bar, until the server has finally
delivered
     setup.ini to my system.  After that  the window content is replaced by
text saying:
     "This space intentionally left blank"; (not very helpful) which stays
there forever...

In the last section the 'forever' part only applies as long as I leave the
system untouched though, as the installation program seems to have locked up
completely, ceasing even to update its window. If any other window covers
part of it, and is then removed again, then the window simply goes white,
except for the borders (maintained by Windows itself). It is also impossible
to close the window or the application in a normal fashion, as that only
leads to the familiar error message: "Not Responding".

As far as I can tell the program is dead as a doornail at this stage, so
installation is not possible.

I am using WinXP Pro (US flavor) with all the latest updates, so this should
not be due to any system components at my end.  Nor should it be due to slow
speed at my end, as I have 1Mbit cable and a
1GHz system (Duron CPU).

I hope someone can clear up the situation, and provide a fix and/or
explanation for this problem.

Best Regards: Ronald Andersson