Re: Installation Issue, un-scriptable installer.

At 04:32 PM 5/10/2002, Ryan Fulcher wrote:
>To my GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT the package selection menu is NOT KEYABLE!
>
>I am having an issue with the cygwin installation, here is my situation.
>I am installing 400+ workstations at a school, they are all 2k and I've
>devised a touchless installation process for the OS and ALL the apps.
>
>I use VBS scripts for each applications installation and have been able
>to deal with many quarks regarding each packages unique installation
>process.  UNTIL NOW! of all the unfriendly installers I have to say
>I am very disappointed with the cygwin installer.  You see the VBS
>scripts rely heavily on the use of "window title detection">OutPut and
>"KEYSTROKING">InPut as it's difficult to control the mouse with a
>script.
>
>To my GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT the package selection menu is NOT KEYABLE!
>PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the setup.exe respond to keystrokes, eg.
>{TAB 4}{TAB}{TAB} over to the package I like, " "cycle the behavior
>between (skip, install_vX, install_vY, install_vZ). {alt}+{n} next
>step in the installation.. This would be a great help. cummon guys
>open source stuff is supposed to be "Friendly", that means it plays
>well with "keyboards"!!!!!
>
>L8r
>  ThanX for hearing my rants

Thanks for your rant.  May I point out that you only need to send to one
list?  Polluting others with the same message is a waste of bandwidth and
allot of people's time.  If you need help figuring out which list to send
to, consult http://cygwin.com/lists.html.  In general, the Cygwin home page
is the best place to start when looking for information, just as an aside.

As you point out, Cygwin is open-source.  It's kept alive by a group of
volunteers that maintain the functionality.  I'm sure your request will
end up on the list of enhancements.  However, as an open-source project,
there's no need to plead with others to get them to do what you want.  You
can add it yourself if you're capable or find someone to do it for you.
This is often the best way to get alternate functionality into open-source
work, since not everyone's priority for features is the same.

Hope that helps,