Re: cygwin Digest 9 May 2002 20:56:07 -0000 Issue 1926

Jos? Luis Otermin

    I'm not sure what mailing list your inquiry got redirected to but I have recently installed Postgresql on WinNT under
cygwin.  I followed the instructions below taken from a book by Geschwinde and Schonig entitled "Postgresql Developer's
Handbook" p 29 [Publisher SAMS c2002, ISBN 0-672-32260-9, publishers address = 201 West 103rd Street,
Indianapolis, IN  46290].

    "After instally Cygwin, you have to initialize a Postgresql database.  Therefore, you have to install the cygipc package available at: "

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/index.html

    "This can be done by extracting the tar archive containing the sofware in the root directory of the Cygnus environment. Installing this package is necessary to run the server because
Postgresql needs System V IPC system calls.  ipc is a common kernel entry point for the System V IPC calls for messages, semaphores, and shared memory.  If the package is not installed, Postgresql
can't initialize the database."

    "Now that the sofware is installed, you have to add the bin directory in the Cygnus environment to the environment variable PATH of your Windows system; otherwise, cygipc won't be able to find
the DLLs it needs for starting."

   " First you install the daemon as a service:"

ipc-daemon --install-as-service

    "Then you start the daemon:"

net start ipc-daemon                #NT/2000 or
ipc-daemon &                                 # 9X/Me

    "After that you can go on with Postgresql by initializing the database with the initdb comand:"

initdb -L /usr/share/postgresql -D /data/postgresql

"-L defines the location of the templates Postgresql must use to generate the system databases. -D defines the directory in which to store the files of the database you want to generate using
initdb.  Keep in mind that the director specified by -D must be empty or nonexistant."

    I had to make a few modifications  related to where my copy of Postgresql was stored.  I used the directory 'cygwin' as my root directory.

    Good luck.

    Carleton T. Garrett