Re: cygwin setup freezes

OK, that last message did not come through very well.  Here's another try...

Jack Tan wrote:
>At 09:59 AM 5/7/2002, *** wrote:
>>I tried to use the KDE sourceforge ftp with the latest cygwin setup.exe, but
>>it messed up my Cygwin install.
>>So I must reinstall cygwin but setup.exe freezes everytime.
>>I tried with the setup.exe that comes with local packages and the normal
>>internet install setup.exe.
>>I am desperate ! I cannot continue :(
>
>I also experienced this problem using setup 2.194.2.24.  setup.ini downloads
>to 98% (96k/98k), the CPU spikes for several seconds (450MHz), and then focus
>shifts to an invisible "Parse Error" error dialog, as indicated by the
>Taskbar.  Hitting Enter dismisses the dialog and brings the user back to the
>"select a download site" setup screen.  There's nothing interesting in the
>setup.log file.
>
>The problem goes away if you download setup 2.194.2.26 from
>http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe.

Interesting.  By clicking on this link, I got the 2.194.2.24 version.
However, using http://cygwin.com/setup.exe downloaded the 2.194.2.26
version.  Then when I went back to http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe,
it downloaded the 2.194.2.26 version.  Must be a caching issue with
my proxy.  Anyway...

The 2.194.2.26 version works for me on selecting the "Download from
Internet" option, while the 2.194.2.24 version was hanging at a parse
error.  One funny thing about the 2.194.2.26 version is that when
selecting packages, there is a second "Cygwin Setup" window that says
"This space left intentionally blank".  I'm not sure what that's all
about.  It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

However, the "Install from Local Directory" option (after doing the
Download from Internet) gave me quite a few errors.  First, there were
multiple windows with lots of parse errors.  After clicking OK on four
or five of them, the install continued and appeared to work.  During
the install, there was a pop-up that said "Can't open (null) for
reading".  I clicked OK and the install continued.  When the install
finished, everything appeared OK, but I'm very apprehensive about all
the errors and pop-up windows.

The first line in the "Parse Errors" window is:

setup.ini line 3297: parse error, unexpected $undefined

Thereafter, all lines look like this:

setup.ini line 3297: unrecognized line in setup.ini headers (do you have the latest setup?)

The line numbers keep incrementing up to 3332.  Clicking OK brings up
another window that looks the same but the last line number is higher.
As I said before, after four or five windows, it continues with the
installation and completes it successfully.  The strange thing about
this is that there are only 2216 lines in the setup.ini file (from
mirrors.rcn.net).

There's nothing interesting in the setup.log or setup.log.full files.

I'm running Windows NT4, Service pack 5.

--
Daniel
ZZZ-dgun-ZZZ-@umpire-ZZZ-.com