Re: mkpasswd (Win2K) cannot find the domain controller

Jerry,

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:58:17PM -0400, Gerald S. Williams wrote:
> Although we get errors like the following:
>
>  $ mkgroup -d
>  Cannot get PDC, code = 2453
>
>  $ mkpasswd -d
>  mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.

While trying to help a co-worker in the UK, we determined that he could
successfully run mkpasswd without the "-u" option, but with this option
he got the following error:

    NERR_UserNotFound (i.e., 2221)

Since he was located far away, I did not pursue this further.

While helping another co-worker locally, but part of another domain, we
determined that for some reason he had to explicitly specify the domain
name:

    $ mkpasswd -d -u user domain

What happens if you try the above command with user and domain replaced
as appropriate?

BTW, I found the following (http://faqchest.dynhost.com/msdn/DCOM/dcom-00/dcom-0008/dcom00082115_15544.html):

    I am writing a program using the LAN Manager API. I have a loop that
    calls NetGetDCName() for each domain in a list. Some of the domains
    are visible through WINS, and some aren't (I have LMHOSTS entries for
    them).  NetGetDCName() always succeeds for the WINS-visible domains;
    it always returns NERR_DCNotFound for the LMHOSTS-visible domains.

    Here's the kicker: when I run USRMGR.EXE and point it at one of the
    LMHOSTS-visible domains, it connects to a domain controller without
    a problem.

    What am I doing wrong that USRMGR is doing right?

    My LMHOSTS entries:
    10.0.0.1        PDCNAME     #PRE    #DOM:DOMAIN
    10.0.0.1        "DOMAIN         \0x1B"   #PRE
    10.0.0.1        "DOMAIN         \0x1C"   #PRE

Could your problem be similar to the above?

HTH,
Jason