RE: A proposal for a Cygnus naming convention

Look at it this way: The code is there, you can change it to be whatever
you want. So no, we're not gatesian.

OTOH, we reserve the right to change that key name an dlocation at any
point, with no warning. We will keep the published API (mount.exe) up to
date with any changes, but you will have to syncronise yourself with any
changes if you access those registry values directly. And no, we won't
be notifying the general end user base of changes to the registry -
because it's not a published API.

In the linux world the same applies: developers have published API's and
implementation API's. implementation API's are subject to change and are
not designed for end users to access. Whilst you can (for instance) call
a whole bunch of readline function calls that are designated
internal-only, don't be surprised if they change, and don't be surprised
if the developer tells you 'no thanks' to suggestions for change - after
those calls SHOULD NOT BE USED.

Rob