Re: setlinebuf

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 12:43 AM
Subject: Re: setlinebuf

> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:45:42PM +1000, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> >I even submited a patch to newlib to get it put in... although it didnt
even
> >get a 'we need a copyright assignment' or 'looks like you stole that from
> >something thats gpl'd ... try again' (which it wasnt I think - it was a
cut
> >paste edit job from newlib itself pretty much)
> >it would be incredibly simple to add.  but given the no comment - I just
> >couldnt be bothered trying again ... i just replace the call with the
> >equivelent code when i find it in stuff i want to port.
>
> New to free software?
yeap! - or I was.

> Sometimes (many times) you have to be persistent
> if you want to get your patch in.  I'm sure that the newlib developers
> (which does not include me or Corinna) would respond to a polite ping.
>
> Just as a reminder, we're all volunteers here.  No one gets performance
> reviews based on responding to net submissions.  It's not a corporate
> goal for anyone to scan mailing lists helping people.  People do it
> because they want to help and so fit their efforts into their busy
> schedules.  So it doesn't make any sense to be frustrated by
> non-response to a patch, especially after one try.
no frustration - just lack of 'could be botheredness'. - I had the urge, i
posted, the urge had gone by the time i realised there had been no reply for
a week or 2.

> If, however, one shot at getting a patch in is the limit of what you are
> willing to do, then that's fine.  After all, you're a volunteer, too.
yeap
Added to the could not be bothered was I came to realise that although
incredibly simple, it was doubtful that a feature addition would fall under
'no need for copyright assignment' - which i certainly couldnt be bothered
doing, I find it stupid that i have to pay postage to get a copyright
assignment sent in to contribute to free software - although if i felt i was
going to make a more then semi-insignificant contribution - I would.