Visual Studio using cygwin1.dll

I want to use cygwin1.dll with Visual Studio.  It doesn't know how to
handle cygwin1.dll without cygwin1.lib and cygwin1.def.

I have not seen these files, and attempts to do stuff like
dumpbin /exports cygwin1.dll

gives me errors like: DUMPBIN : error : internal error during DumpSections

Do I need to somehow generate my OWN .def and .lib file, or do they exist
somewhere?  (did I miss them in one of my cygwin install directories, or
something?)

  -Scott