Re: A proposal for a Cygnus naming convention

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:32:00AM +0200, Mellman Thomas wrote:
>Given the registry name:
>

>HKLM\software\Cygnus solutions\cygwin\mounts v2\/
>

>May I suggest that the blank in the name is superfluous and problematic
>for processing by Unix-type tools - even in the registry.  Bill may
>feel vindicated that *his* OS tolerates blanks, but does it really add
>significant readibility?

You can suggest anything, however, what you are suggesting makes no sense:

1) The cygwin registry entry is not intended to be manipulated by
   "Unix-type tools".  Use *mount* if you want to manipulate it.

2) Changing the name would break backwards compatibility.

3) Even if you wanted to use "Unix-type" tools, a space is really not an
   obstacle.  Unix certainly can deal with spaces.

So, bottom line is that there is absolutely no way that we'll be changing
anything.  You should just be considering the registry to be a black box,
anyway.  The cygwin DLL deals just fine with the current scheme.

cgf