Tar 1.13.19 bug reading DLT4 tape

Using the 1.3.10 CYGWIN and tar 1.13.19 installed via setup.  We had a DLT4
tape with a gzipped tar archive of 2271527848 bytes.  Using the tar command
to list the contents of the tape we got the following result:

$ tar -tvf /dev/st0
-rw-r--r-- sdbadm/dba 2023709448 2002-05-01 14:51:16 {file name removed)
tar: Skipping to next header

On restoring the archive anyway, it restored 2023709448 bytes.

This was also tested using MKS Toolkit's VPAX.  VPAX read the archive as
having the correct number of bytes and restored the file with the correct
number of bytes.

The system was running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP2 and SP2SRP1 and
all other latest updates.

Paul McNally
Technical Consultant
smartFOCUS Ltd
One Redcliff Street
Bristol BS1 6NP

S/board +44 (0)117 943 5800
Direct:   +44 (0)117 943 5803
Fax:      +44 (0)117 927 7588
mailto:pmcnally@smartfocus.com
http://www.smartfocus.com

smartFOCUS - Delivering Intelligent Marketing for CRM

This message contains information from smartFOCUS Limited, which may be
confidential and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please
refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information and note that such actions are prohibited.  If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify support@smartfocus.co.uk.  This
message and any attachments have been scanned for viruses.