Re: Manual setup of cygwin - solved but ncurses Error unable to open terminal: cygwin

At 11:25 AM 5/7/2002, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:
>Hello Sir,
>
>Thank you very much for your help. I was able to solve this problem of
>setting up cygwin dir as root dir. I chose to do it myself because setup.exe
>wasn't downloading anything.

Hm, did you report the specifics of this behavior to the list?  That's the
recommended approach.  Of course, you're always free to pursue your own
fancy in terms of a resolution.  But this list usually isn't too concerned
with problems generated by home-brewed installations.  That's why using and
improving setup is highly encouraged.

>After I tried I was able to do something like this to enable scripts to find
>/bin/sh and /usr/bin etc.
>
>BASH-2.05a$ mount /cygwin/ /
>BASH-2.05a$
>
>I am able to do cd /bin and cd /usr/bin etc.
>
>I was even able to compile zlib library using cygwin and mingW.
>
>But now I am missing something as libncurses demo programs didn't run
>because it was unable to start terminal etc.
>termcap is in directory /etc.
>
>Ncurses dlls etc are in path.
>
>When I run the demo programs in /usr/bin/ncurses-test-dll/ following error
>is displayed.
>
>BASH-2.05a$ ./blue
>Error opening terminal: cygwin.
>BASH-2.05a$
>
>Is there anything which I forgot to download? What is the problem here?

I would've said you don't have /etc/termcap but you obviously do.  Perhaps
it's wrong.  In terms of the ncurses tests, are you sure you don't need a
terminfo entry and/or that the TERMINFO and TERMCAP environment variables are
set correctly?  These are the only generic configuration issues I can think of
in this regard.  Of course, there are a bunch of issues that can come as a
result of a not-properly-installed environment from the use of faulty tools.
Since I don't know (and I'm not sure that I care to know) the tools you used
to create your installation, I can't rule out that your installation isn't
corrupt.  So overall, I'm not that interested in trying to debug this problem
with you.  Perhaps you want to try setup again and tell the list the specifics
of the problems you're having with it?