Manual setup of cygwin (how to set cygwin dir as root dir)

Hello,
    I am using Windows 95 OS and microsoft client etc. is not installed.
So I am the single (default) user who uses this computer(I don't see that
login screen). So there is no home directory etc.

I tried to use setup to download cygwin but setup failed after downloading
the setup.ini file. So, I had to download files myself one by one. I have
extracted all these files to d:\c\cygwin folder. Many scripts refer /bin/sh
but bash is unable to find /bin/sh because bin is not in the root drive but
inside d:\c\cygwin\bin.
Is there any environment variable to set cygwin home so that bash treats
d:\c\cygwin as root. But I think if I did this, I won't be able to access
other drives and directories etc. So what is the solution.

    Also should bash.exe and some others are extracted inside /bin. But most
extract exes to /usr/bin. So where actually bash etc be located. Inside /bin
or /usr/bin.

Sukhwinder