libpng changes...again. [Was: Re: I~M~-build tips Site corrections to be made]

Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:

> Also, if you haven't noticed on png-implement, libpng
> will be providing libpng-config starting with version
> 1.2.3.  Of course that still leaves problems detecting
> older versions.  Also, png.h and pngconf.h are going
> to be restored to their old locations in /usr/include or
> whatever, as links from their new locations in
> /usr/include/libpngNN.  Again, leaving problems for
> people who have libpng-1.2.2.

!@#$!*(@^#$!^@#|*!@#|*!^@#*$^!@#*$^!@#*$^"!(#^$*&^#$(&!^@$(^!#@$

I give up.  I am about an inch away from relinquishing maintainership of
the official cygwin libpng package.  This is just too much.

What the hell was wrong with pkg-config?  Why not just stick with that;
everyone else in the world is moving from foo-config to pkg-config/pc
files!  Here, I thought png was being smart and ahead of the curve and
forward thinking by skipping the whole 'foo-config' stage and going
straight for pkg-config!

Geez, there's even a native windows port of pkg-config.

It's a good thing I never got around to officially uploading the
cygwin-libng-1.2.2 package.  do you know that libpng takes more care and
feeding than any other package I maintain except for cvs...

somebody on the cygwin mailing list was just hectoring me about my
refusal to support another package, the ungrateful wretch.  "How much
time does it really take?" they asked.  Harrumph.

--Chuck