Re: Object alignment, was: cygwin failures - assertion "!(addr & FLAGS)" failed:

On Sunday 05 May 2002 16:49, Billinghurst, David (CRTS) wrote:
> cygwin readers:  This is about porting java to cygwin for gcc-3.2
> (and perhaps gcc-3.1.1 if the changes are small).
>
> So we need objects to be 8-byte aligned so that the low three bits
> of the address are 0?  Are there any ways around this, as I don't
> think that this is the default on cygwin.
>
> I seem to recall that:
>  - objects are only 4-byte aligned by default.
The binutils alignment parameter in coff-i386.c is set to 4-byte alignment.
4-byte alignment also is the default for gcc -Os, at least from gcc-3.1.
Cases have been produced where gcc-3.1 failed to give 16-byte alignment
even with -O2, unless -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4 was specified.
>  - it is necessary to rebuild ld to ensure 8-byte alignment
not only ld, but all of binutils
>  - there are performance benefits for 8-byte (or even 16-byte)
>    alignment, but arguements against.
8-byte alignment is required for reasonable performance with 64-bit data.
16-byte alignment is required by <xmmintrin.h>, which uses aligned sse
instructions, and for reasonable performance with un-aligned sse instructions.
P4 does not share the 16-byte code alignment requirements for full
performance which P-II/P-III have.

I have been building and testing gcc-3.1 in cygwin with 16-byte alignments
specified, wherever I know how, with no ill effects, and I consider it a must
for gcc-3.1.
16-byte alignment is incompatible AFAIK with the libstdc++ of gcc-2.95.x, but
the C, f77, and objc compilers have no problem with it.
The primary argument I have seen for making 4-byte alignment the default for
-Os in gcc had to do with the 1MB stack per thread limitation being easily
exceeded.  Future glibc should always have at least 8MB stack per thread.  I
don't know the answers for the cygwin environment.
Another argument which has been made in the past is that MSVC couldn't be
counted upon for better than 4-byte alignments.

--
Tim Prince