RE: New snapshot with significant new functionality

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Robert Collins wrote:
> Two things: if /proc/registry isn't writable, cating 1 to
> /proc/registry/.writeable won't work - without special case code. I'd
> suggest /proc/sysopts/fs/registry/writeable.
>
> Two, why not have two options:
> writeable
> nextwrite
>
> one is persistent (until all cygwin processes end). The other is for a
> single transaction.

The "single transaction" mode seems like it might be race-prone, if two
processes (or two threads of the same process) are both accessing the
registry.  Perhaps it would be cleaner to allow a process to open a
registry file for write, but then require some fd-specific action (e.g. an
ioctl, or perhaps writing the fd number to a /proc/sysopts file) to enable
it to *really* work for write.

                Chris Metcalf -- InCert Software -- 1 (617) 621 8080
                metcalf@incert.com -- http://www.incert.com/~metcalf