Re: setup fails: "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"

On Sat, 4 May 02 14:11:37 PDT Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com> wrote:

> > Are you aware that 'install from internet' also makes the install
> > sets available?
>
> When I read the instructions a month ago, I got the impression that
> 'install from internet' would not save the downloaded packages after
> installing them.  Perhaps the documentation (and/or the behavior of
> setup) has changed since then.

For as long as I've been aware of it, Install from Internet cached the
package archive files just like Download from Internet.  If you can suggest
an improvement in the documentation that would make that clearer for you, a
change would be gratefully received.

> Anyway, I still need to find out if there is a simple way to recover
> from this mess or if I need to wipe the whole thing and start over.
> How do I discover what-all is corrupted and needs to be replaced, and
> what (if anything) is still OK?

There shouldn't be much to do, if any of the packages you have already
downloaded won't install, find and delete the associated the archive file
(e.g., .../release/ash/ash-20020131-1.tar.bz2 for ash) then install or
download from internet again.  This file, for example, can be found by
searching for ash* starting from the local files directory.  You can tell
which packages have installed by looking in /etc/setup for *.lst.gz .

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html