install permissions

Advise please.

First an interesting story.  Just reinstalled operating system and
cygwin after the system became badly corrupted.  May have at least
partly been related to replacing the old cygwin1.dll with the new
snapshot.  Thought that I had closed all cygwin apps first but forgot
that cygipc had been installed as a service to allow PostgreSQL to run.
Don't forget the services when upgrading the DLL.

Now the question.  After reinstalling cygwin all the directories have
700 permissions. Is this the correct setting or not after an
installation?  I noticed that changing the Windows XP security setting
from read-only to read-write does not effect the cygwin permissions on
the directory.  Should it?

Thanks.

-- Michael