Cygwin/GCC

Do you know something I don't.  As far as I know, there is no such
things as gcc-3.1.  gcc-3.1 is under release testing as we speak,
and has not officially been released yet...I have built it under Cygwin
a number of times myself.  The latest "official" release of gcc is
gcc-3.0.4.

Did you mean gcc-3.0.1 and 3.0.2?

When I have built 3.1, I build g77 and the C,C++ compilers only,
I don't mess with Java (which Cygwin isn't really set up to handle yet),
Ada (new for 3.1) or Objective C.  On my work laptop, which is
a Pentium 3, 1.1 Ghz, I can build do the configure/make bootstrap/
make install dance in about 30 - 40 minutes, on my home play machine,
which is a P2/400, it takes from 1 - 2 hours, much of the time in
the make part of the cycle.

If you want, I can send you my "recipe" for building gcc-3.1 in this
way.

I have not built gcc-3.1 on the work SGI's, I know that gsl, which
alos takes a long time to build, takes comparable time on the SGI
as it does on Cygwin.

Wayne Keen