Re: How do you pronounce GCC and Cygwin?

Mark Sheppardwrote in
<F239CD897B4CD611825600508BE70AC212ABD3@FRUITMACHINE.brighton.climax.co.uk>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Fri, 3 May 2002 11:15:05 +0100:

> I normally pronounce it with a long "i" sound (s-eye-gwin, as
> in cyclops or cycle), although I've heard others pronounce it
> with a short "i" sound (as in signal) as Cliff seems to.  He
> doesn't speak for the entire country as I'm in England too!

I think the short-i sound is more appropriate since the "cy" part
comes from Cygnus.

> I can't see how you could pronounce GCC other than saying the
> individual letters so I'm not sure why the original poster
> asks about that.

You could possibly pronounce it as the contracted expletive "Jeez!"
;-)

--
Sam Edge