Re: How to set system PATH for cygwin on nt?

On Thu, 02 May 2002 23:26:43 -0500 Dave Bodenstab <imdave1@mindspring.com> wrote:

> My background is Unix and I'm *very* new with NT... so this has,
> I'm sure, a very simple solution.
>
> Trying to get inetd to work, the doc's say to set the system PATH.
> How?  What file contains the settings?  Somehow, NT pickeds up
> the PATH I had in my autoexec.bat when I open a DOS window...
> but the PATH in the cygwin environment is different -- and, of
> course, is not set at the time initd is started.

WinNT and its decendents keep environment variables in the registry.  One
set for everybody and separate sets of additional variables for each user.

I haven't used NT in a couple months, so it's a little hazy, but I think
one way to get to the environment dialog window is to right-click on 'My
Computer' and select the 'Environment' tab.  If that doesn't get there,
search for environment or PATH in Windows's help.

Cygwin applications use the same PATH as Windows, but it is converted to
proper UNIX form as they start up.  I normally keep c:\Cygwin\bin near the
end of my Windows path, but you'll have to decide what works best for you.
When you start a bash login shell, the default /etc/profile puts /bin at
the front of the path.

> Since I couldn't find how to set the system PATH properly, I just
> copied the cygwin.dll to \winnt\, so now inetd starts.

That is a very bad idea.  The next time Cygwin is update, you will have two
different versions of cygwin1.dll in separate directories.  The right
answer is to set the system PATH.

> When I attempt a telnet from another system, I get the login prompt.
> I enter Administrator and the password and I get a message that
> I'm logged in, but on the target system a message pops up saying that
> the application failed to start.  I'm hoping that this is related
> to this PATH setting also.

Someone else will have to address this.  I don't use any remote access
tools.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html