Re: problem with telnet and ftp server on win 2K

David Starks-Browning wrote:

> This has been discussed on the mailing list before, search the
> archives.  I noticed it with cygwin-1.3.10 on NT4, and found that
> enabling ntsec solved the problem for me.  But there are lots of
> things to check, like the correctness of your /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group files, rights given to the inetd service account,
> execute permissions on the applications and cygwin1.dll, ...
>
> It's a mystery, to me, why it fails without ntsec but works with
> ntsec, all other things being the same.  But I've stopped worrying
> about it, now that I use ntsec.

I'm totally new to nt4, so could I ask what thingy I click and
what to change to enable this ntsec thing?  The previous poster
mentioned that he'd been able to use the control panel, but I see
no cygwin icon when I bring up the control panel... perhaps he's
not using nt.  Is the registry thing what I need to change?  If so,
how does one change it?

If this stuff is discussed in a beginners guide to nt, or a help
file that I just need to read, then a pointer would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Dave Bodenstab