How to set system PATH for cygwin on nt?

My background is Unix and I'm *very* new with NT... so this has,
I'm sure, a very simple solution.

Trying to get inetd to work, the doc's say to set the system PATH.
How?  What file contains the settings?  Somehow, NT pickeds up
the PATH I had in my autoexec.bat when I open a DOS window...
but the PATH in the cygwin environment is different -- and, of
course, is not set at the time initd is started.

Since I couldn't find how to set the system PATH properly, I just
copied the cygwin.dll to \winnt\, so now inetd starts.

When I attempt a telnet from another system, I get the login prompt.
I enter Administrator and the password and I get a message that
I'm logged in, but on the target system a message pops up saying that
the application failed to start.  I'm hoping that this is related
to this PATH setting also.

Thanks from a real newbie!

Dave Bodenstab