Re: Not to alarm anyone - but possible virus on http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

On Thu, 2 May 2002 11:04:06 -0700 Winston Gutkowski <winston.gutkowski@eztext.com> wrote:

> Can anyone confirm or deny this? Both products mentioned are reputable virus
> checkers, so it would be nice to get some official feedback on the situation.

To date, every alarm about setup.exe has been either an invalid test by the
anti-virus software or a virus infection spread by some other means.  Send
your 'infected' copy to your anti-virus vendor if you want official
feedback __just as Elmar suggested__.

Just to be certain, I confirmed my Norton Anti-Virus is completely up to
date, downloaded a fresh copy of setup.exe, and scanned it.  It was clean.
The way setup.exe is created and distributed makes infection at Redhat
(cygwin.com) or one of the mirrors unlikely.

Since Klez is normally spread by people opening email attachments, you
should check if you have all received similar emails recently.  A full
system virus scan would be prudent on all potentially affected systems.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html