Re: Mathematical Functions

Mr. Paul,

[ This is entirely non-Cygwin-specific. ]

Apart from the FORTRAN business, about which I know nothing...

If you're running the ordinary BASH-in-a-console-window Cygwin, which is
the default for a Cygwin installation when you launch using the "Cygwin
Icon" on the desktop or in the Start menu, then you can set the amount of
scroll-back in the window's Properties dialog.

The window configuration (font, colors, screen size, scroll-back buffer
size, etc.) can all be preset permanently via the Properties dialog for the
shortcut that launches Cygwin. If you use RXVT, then the control of these
parameters is via invocation options to "rxvt.exe," whose documentation you
should read to learn how to control these attributes.

Secondly, the reason I/O redirection didn't capture the compiler's error
messages is that errors are sent to the "standard error" output, which
requires a variant redirection syntax:

BASH & ash:

         command >normalOutput
         commandThatProducesErrorMessages >normalOutput 2>errorOutput
         commandThatProducesErrorMessages 2>errorOutput
         commandThatProducesErrorMessages >allOutput 2>&1

Note: The "2>&1" must come after the ">allOutput".

CSH / TCSH:
         command >normalOutput
         commandThatProducesErrorMessages >& allOutput

--
Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA