RE: 1.1.3 and upwards: apparent bug with pthread_cond_wait() and/or signal()

You're going to have to debug this yourself. I've given you my opinion
:].

> If the test thread locks the mutex first, sure it will
> probably signal before
> the main thread is wating, but that doesn't matter because
> the main thread

does this sequence look plausible to you? I don't claim it is whats
happening because the string output doesn't fit..  but it illustrates
the race. On a dual processor machine this is much more likely than a
single.

thread - lock
thread - state=run
thread - signal
main - lock
main - test state (passes)
thread - test state (fails)
main - state = acknowledged
main - signal
thread wait
main - unlock
main - join
thread is hung.

what are we seeing:
main - lock
main - test state fails
main - wait
thread - lock
thread - state=run
thread - signal
-- test thread has signal()ed
thread - test state (fails)
-- test thread about to wait()...
thread wait
-- main thread wakes!
main - state = acknowledged
-- main thread about to signal()
main - signal
main - unlock
-- main thread waiting for exit...
thread should wake here.

> If the above hand-wavy explanation does not seem convincing,
> the different platforms does not seem to hold much water...

Without a few more output statements, I'll not buy into that. However I
do accept your hand waving. Particularly since I've noticed something
useful out of this: pthread_join's argument should not be 0. I have to
dig up the spec to confirm this though.... but our code will segfault
like crazy on you as it stands.

> However, that said, I will be trying 1.3.10 to see if it
> makes a difference.
> If not, then I guess I will just have to make the move to the
> Win32 threading
> and synchronization APIs. Blech!

You could always help us debug the pthreads code... I wonder if the
recent patches I haven't reviewed properly yet address this. If you had
time, you could try them and see...

> > You should also _always_ test for the return value when
> using pthreads
> > calls. They don't throw exceptions and they don't set errno, so the
> > only way you can tell an error has occurred is to record the return
> > value.
>
> Yes I know. The reason for this sloppy coding is that this
> test program is

Please don't remove error handling. If I were to run this program I'd
expect to have error handling so I don't have to add it in. And running
the code w/o error handling won't help me id anything non-trivial.

Rob (Cygwin pthreads maintainer).