Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: automake-devel-1.6-1

FWIW, pr300-lib.test, pr300-ltlib.test, and pr300-prog.test failures
were not cygwin-specific, and are corrected in post-automake-1.6 CVS.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2002-03/msg00054.html

A careful reading of this thread:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2002-04/msg00033.html

seems to imply that dirforbid.test failure was also corrected in
post-automake-1.6 CVS (unfortunately, the crucial message was in private
correspondence; there's a gap in the mailinglist record).

So, the four test failures suffered by our build of automake-1.6 are not
cygwin-specific, and have already been fixed...in automake-1.6.1.

Automake-1.6.1 was released about a week ago, and Autoconf-2.53a was
posted today  (e.g. autoconf-2.54 is expected Real Soon Now(tm)).  Once
   autoconf-2.54 is release, I'll do a test rollout of ac-2.54 and am-1.6.1.

--Chuck

New in Automake 1.6.1:

* automake --output-dir is deprecated
* Many bug fixes, including:
   - Don't choke on AM_LDFLAGS definitions.
   - Clean libtool objects from subdirectories.
   - Allow configure variables with reserved suffix and unknown prefix
     (e.g. AC_SUBST(mumble_LDFLAGS) when 'mumble' is not a target).
   - Fix the definition of AUTOMAKE and ACLOCAL in configure.
(plus, they apparently have fixed the four test failures noted in the
cygwin automake-1.6 build, which seem to have been endemic and not
cygwin-specific).

NEWS for Autoconf-2.53a (and presumably 2.54):

** Executables
- autoreconf is adjusted to GNU Gettext 0.11.
** Macros
- AC_PROG_CC_STDC is integrated into AC_PROG_CC.
** Bug fixes
- Spurious complaints from `m4_bmatch' about invalid regular
   expressions are suppressed.
- Empty top_builddirs are properly handled.
- AC_PATH_PROG
   Now colon in the optional path arguments are properly handled.
** Improved Zsh portability
   Both Autoconf the package, and the scripts it produces, should run
   more reliably with Zsh.  Bear in mind it is the default Bourne shell
   on Darwin.
** Documentation
- Limitations of Make
   More of them.