teTeX (tetex-beta-20001218) out-of-box problems

I'm having problems simply installing cygwin and trying to get teTeX to
configure. (eg cygwin 1.3.6)

*) I have followed the README files and Quick install files.
*) It wasn't amazingly obvious to me that I needed to go down a deep
tree to find .cnf.frozen files and copy them to .cnf files.
*) config.ps was missing, but I can't find instructions on how to
create for the standard setup (600dpi pdf output).
*) Even then, texconfig barfs as soon as it tries to
find "language.dat".  This is beyond my (once extensive) knowledge of
TeX.

Bottom line - I'd recommend a maintainer start from a scratch cygwin,
and check that there are idiot instructions for each step.  Note that
the above difficulties would go away with in-place upgrades, since they
all result from missing files.

Yes - I realize that extensive study of the teTeX docs would yield the
answers, but (a) the quick guides are made to look complete, (b) it's
not that hard, and (c) it's very difficult to identify the relevant doc
and the relevant information therein.

Thanks,
Alex Stark.