Re: VI and DOS Mode

At 21:45 29-3-2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 03:36 PM 3/29/2002, Gaurav Khanna wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I installed the cygwin bash shell along with the VIM editor on windows.
> >Now the problem is that it opens up the files in UNIX mode and not in
> >DOS mode. And it saves that way too. I have tried reinstalling the whole
> >thing including the vim editor and specifying DOS as the default file
> >type but to no avail. What am I missing?
> >Initially I had specified UNIX as the default type but since then I have
> >done a lot of I installations trying to get DOS as the default.
> >Please help.
>

>Sorry, I don't have the problem here, even with binary mount points.
>Setting fileformat=dos allows me to read and write files in DOS mode
>whenever I want with vim.  Perhaps you need to do a little more debugging
>on your end.

Or just create an (empty) file .vimrc in your home directory.  (This forces
vi-compatible mode to be turned off.)

When Corinna gets back from vacation (who told her she could get a vacation
- didn't she have one last year?  ;-) ), I'm sure she'll soon upgrade the
vim package to 6.1, which will solve this problem once and for all.  (It
will detect UNIX and DOS files even in vi-compatible mode.)

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning