bash failed to initialize on telnet/rsh/rlogin server

I'm trying to get inetd set up for telnet/rsh/rlogin on my machine and have
everything going up to the point that after login.exe gives the motd to the
telnet client, a dialog window pops up on the server titled "bash.exe -
Application Error" and says "The application failed to initialize properly
(0xc0000022)."  Acknowledging the dialog closes the connection with the
client.

I have telnetd working on another machine (NT4) but haven't been updating it
to the latest cygwin packages.  The new machine is running W2K, was updated
this afternoon, and although there are 56 differences in the cygcheck -c
outputs, these are the ones that seem relevant to me: (differences
highlighted with *)

        <system that doesn't work>              <system that works>
        Cygwin Package Information              Cygwin Package Information
        Package             Version             Package             Version
*       bash                2.05a-3             bash                2.05a-2
*       cygwin              1.3.10-1            cygwin              1.3.6-6
        inetutils           1.3.2-17            inetutils           1.3.2-17
        login               1.4-3               login               1.4-3

Both are running with ntsec, and have identical passwd and group files (both
from the domain server, passwd trimmed to a couple users plus the usual
system accounts)

Even though I thought I recalled seeing something about this in the last
couple months, I've searched the mailing list for all kinds of combinations
of keywords, including 'bash "failed to initialize"', and got no relevant
hits.

Before I try to debug this on my own, I wanted to check to see if there was
some obvious answer (aside from "cygwin 1.3.10-1 broke this...because we're
mean" :-) )  that I'm overlooking.  And if I do need to debug this, where
would I put the strace?   in inetd.conf?  if so, how?

Thanks,
Chris