Cygwin/DJGPP and memory

Dear all,
I'm browsing the mailing list archive about the limits on memory allocation
under cygwin, but I've not yet a complete picture.
What is the real limit when I use new[] in a C++ program? The one I set in
windows2000 register heap_chunk_in_mb?
What are the differences in memory limits between cygwin and DJGPP, besides
the DJGPP need for DPMI?
Please clarify this point for a "medium level" programmer as me.
I am migrating from DJGPP to cygwin to benefit from a non-dos GCC
interface, but I need to work with large sparse matrices and my programs
are greedy for memory!

Thanks a lot for you time.

Regards

Giovanni

--
Dr. Giovanni Spagnuolo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."
Naguib Mahfouz