Re^2: xdvi runtime error

Thanks for your replay/advice . Let me share with you what I have
found on my side:

1. Apparently, the heap_chunk_in_mb registry does not always tweak
the memory default limit for cygwin. Many people report this issue
and it actually happened to me as well. But, here's what I tried:
increased the value to 512Mb (instead of 256Mb - what I wanted)
and I finally got my 256Mb (sharp) increase. I guess I have to
set it to double what I want in order to get it (?).

2. I have fixed one of my xdvi problems: the error "setsid: Not owner"
is due to the fact that xdvi calls vfork(), if not instructed to do
otherwise. Apparently vfork() is not supported and I fixed the problem
by redefining vfork as fork.

3. Now, that I have increased the cygwin memory limit, xdvi goes to
256Mb and dies there, so I guess I was right about this abnormal run.
I will try to follow the indication about fcntl(F_SETOWN) - thanks
for the advice.

I found the same xdvi problem reported on the XFree86 mail list
- with no follow-ups. So, I'll keep digging.

Thanks again, and if you find more related clues, please let me know.

Nic. Santean

>On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:32:38PM -0500, Nicolae Santean wrote:
> >
> > I believe that the 128 megabyte realloc failure is a consequence
> > (memory leak - maybe) of the other errors:
> >
> > "xdvi: fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument", "setsid: Not owner"
> >
> > I am getting these errors first, and then I watch the memory being
> > slowly flooded. By no means xdvi should go to 128Mb. I suspect that
> > I have used wrong config/makefile settings during the make/install
> > and now xdvi is calling what it shouldn't.
>
>If xdvi is irritated by the result of fcntl(F_SETOWN) then you
>should tweak xdvi to not use it.  F_SETOWN isn't supported by
>Cygwin.  It always returns -1, errno = EINVAL.
>
>Corinna

>Nicolae,

>A 128 megabyte realloc fails? No kidding??

>There is a Cygwin-wide allocation limit that defaults, if I recall
>correctly, to 128 megabytes. There is a registry entry that overrides
this default called HEAP_CHUNK_IN_MB.

>Here are the details, excerpted from an email by "Scott A. Hill"
><s.a.hill@larc.nasa.gov> sent Tue, 3 Apr 2001 07:59:30 -0400:

>-==- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\

>Create a new DWORD value there called "heap_chunk_in_mb" that contains >the
>maximum amount of memory (in Mb) your application needs (watch the
>hex/decimal toggle). Exit and restart all cygwin applications.

>The default is 128 (i.e. 128Mb) if no registry key is set. -==-

>Good luck.

>Randall Schulz Mountain View, CA USA

>    Hello,

>I have recently compiled xdvi22.53 under cygwin1.3.9, but I am having
>problems running it. The runtime error is:

xdvi: fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument
- mktexpk --mfmode cx --bdpi 300 --mag 'magstep(0.5)'
--dpi 329 cmsl10 '>&3'
setsid: Not owner
xdvi: fcntl F_SETOWN: Invalid argument
xdvi: ! Out of memory (rellocating 134179459 bytes).