Re: long delays on fhandler_base::open with cygwin 1.3.10

Chris,

Are you sure that this is a Cygwin issue? My system exhibits pauses like
this and they affect many, possibly all, executing programs. I have noticed
nothing that suggests this is a Cygwin issue, though I must admit, I have a
Cygwin BASH running at all times.

I know only the symptom: Total momentary loss of responsiveness in
interactive programs. If I look at the "Performance" pane of the "Windows
Task Manager" after one of these pauses occurs (it has to be running when
the symptom occurs, naturally), I'll see a spike up to 100% (of one CPU) in
kernel CPU consumption (you have to have "Show Kernel Times" enabled in the
"View" menu to see this).

Perhaps you can use the more detailed performance grapher (Start ->
Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Performance, on Windows 2000) to see
where the time is going. I'm not adept at using it, and one would have to
have some idea of which probes to monitor to get any meaningful information.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA