Re: at + bash

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:19:47PM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:

>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 02:34:11PM -0500, David Means wrote:
>> >Try:
>> >
>> >mkdir /tmp
>> >
>> >mount /cygdrive/c/tmp /tmp
>>
>> Uh, no.  There is no need for the mount command.  It will royally confuse
>> things if you use it.
>>

>Why Chris? I have been using the following mounts for longer tha I care
>to remember?

Take a moment and look at the above command.  Do you see anything wrong
with it?

And, also think about the fact that you are supposed to have a root directory
and it is supposed to already have a /tmp underneath it.

If you didn't have something like that the "mkdir /tmp" would be adequate
to create a /tmp.  Attempting to also use a mount is superfluous.  If the
above mount command actually did something it would just confuse things.

>$ mount
>G:\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
>G:\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
>c:\tmp on /tmp type system (binmode)

So, you have no root.  That's fine.  You have the flexibility to do this if
you don't want a root directory.

However, the person reporting the original problem undoubtedly didn't want
to be in this situation.  Most likely, he hadn't chosen the "set mounts
for everybody" (or whatever it is called) option in setup.exe and just
needed to be directed to the "mount -s" command to rectify his mistake.

cgf