Re: SSHD startup problem and suggested fix

Hello Jettero

didn't you install openssh from the setup.exe ...

if not open setup.exe again leave the entrys "keep" as they are,
look for the Entry Openssh-3p2... and set the state to Openssh-3p.2... (..
should be the Version)
after the installation process the binary should be in /usr/sbin/sshd.exe

make a /bin/ssh-host-config
first the Procedure will ask you to install SSH as a Service ... you can ask
with yes and if you expirence
troubles with automatic startup follow the step below in ths Mail.
edit the /etc/sshd_config if needed ...
do a mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd if the file /etc/passwd doesnt existst or a
mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd ifyou
want the Domain Users tobe able to login.
repeat last step with mkgroup if needed ..

using the windows command: net start "CYGWIN sshd"
should start the SSHD Server

Greetz mIke

Jettero Heller wrote:

> *ponder*
>
> I've been looking for a telnetd or an sshd that I could
> use... did I miss something?  Where did you get them?
>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:20:19PM -0800, Benn Schreiber wrote:
> > I had problems with sshd not starting up reliably as a service, after I
> > installing cygwin on a new system.  I found that it was sometimes trying
> > to start before the network was started, and didn't fare too well.
> >
> > So, I did a cygrunsrv --remove sshd
> >
> > and then did
> >
> > cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -y "Browser" -a
> > "-D" -e "CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty"
> >
> > This makes the sshd service dependent on the browser, which is dependent
> > on the network being up.  Works great now!
> >
> > Benn Schreiber
>
> --
> If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
> 17 jumps from a c182.  Roughly 142 seconds of free fall.
>
> --

   Michael Lang
   KPNQwest/AT Junior System Enginneer          Phone: +43 1 899 33 118
   Diefenbachgasse 35, 1150 Vienna              Fax:   +43 1 899 33 10118
   Austria - Europe