Re: FW: Updated: rxvt-2.7.2-8

Kevin,

No Unix (-like) system has forward delete during "cooked" mode terminal
interaction. One could only choose which ASCII code coming from the
terminal would cause removal of the currently final character of the input
line buffer to be removed.

In editors such as Vi or Emacs, all keystroke input is processed in "raw"
or "cbreak" mode (no line buffering in the tty driver) and is mediated
through bindings (some or all of which are rebindable by the user,
depending on which of these we're considering) and things like forward
delete become perfectly feasible and commonly supported.

Absent readline, or prior to its introduction (or that of something
similar), that was all there was for command line programs such as shells
(or editors like "ed"--remember ed?). It was either line-buffered
("cooked"), "raw" (virtually no driver processing of input keystrokes) or
"cbreak" (immediate wake-up with signals generated).

Now that we do have readline-enabled "command line" applications, BASH or
other shells being the most salient in this context, a line like this in
your .inputrc will achieve the results you desire:

"\M-[3~":       delete-char

(Note: that corresponds to ESC, [, 3, ~ coming from the keyboard")

This happens to work both for RXVT and a console, but those two do not
agree on all non-graphic keys such as the Fn function keys.

The readline man page does not mention any automatic use of /etc/inputrc
(analagous to /etc/cshrc, /etc/bashrc or /etc/login), so there's no obvious
way to make this a global default. Since there is likewise no user creation
command, there's no obvious hook for placing such a default into a new
user's ~/.inputrc file.

I think you'll have to do it manually...

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA