Re: Scripting Installs? missing setup.hints

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Adler" <adler@glimpser.org>
> > It's part of the sources.redhat.com infrastructure.  It is in CVS
but it
> > is not intended for general use.  I don't know if it is even
available
> > for anonymous CVS access.
>
> Am I to assume that you're not interested in making that script
available?

It's been visible via CVS, see the cygwin-apps archive. It's *not
supported* though.

> > In case it isn't really clear, I'm not really interested in making
> > setup.exe a general purpose tool for you to use internally.  That
has
> > never been a goal, and I see nothing but headaches from moving in
that
> > direction.
>
> Granted, all that is clear to me. I appreciate that you're frank. Let
me
> try to ask again.
>
> I'm generating my own setup.ini since that's a good way to gain
control
> over what's being installed. I've written a program to handle this by
> integrating a stale version of a setup.ini from cygwin.com and some
> setup.hints. (ideally this would all come dynamically from
setup.hints)

You don't need to generate your own complete setup.ini. Use the latest
setup.exe snapshot (for now), and generate a 'merge' setup.ini that only
adds/changes any fields you care about. It's been designed to allow
corporate fiddles in that respect.

That said, I've no objection (heh, because I didn't write upset!) to it
floating about, but any questions on it's operation etc etc will be
offtopic here and in cyg-apps. The decision is Chris's 'cause it's his
script (I can only speak for setup.exe).

Rob