Locating bzip2 package

Based on my web searches, I don't think I'm the only one thrown by this so I think it's appropriate I document it.

The defacto standard answer to people trying to get bzip2 installed in a Cygwin environment seems to be, "it *is* there, did you install it?"  I think the confusion is not that bzip2 isn't part of the default install, but rather it's not located where you expect.  There's a nice "Archive" section in Cygwin Setup which owns the unzip and zip utilities.  Most people would expect to find bzip2 with those packages.  However, people looking for bzip2 will find it's located in "Utils" instead.

I think it would make more sense to have it up there with the other archive utilities, but eh; what do I know?  :-P

Marc J. Miller
Open Source Relations Engineer
marc.miller@amd.com
1-800-538-8450 x43325